1869 — Perry was founded, and began to grow quickly. Soon a hospital was needed, and a charitable banker donated property on Willis Avenue. Alpha Circle of the King’s Daughters raised $25,000 needed for construction.
April 1914 — The hospital was dedicated and offered many of the finest services of its day. Hospital nurses resided in a home nearby on 10th and Warford Streets, and the hospital boasted one of the finest surgical suites around.
July 1933 — Marvin Ivan (“Buck”) Barrow brother of Clyde of Bonnie and Clyde was treated at the hospital for gunshot wounds 5 days prior to his death.
1956 — The Dallas County Hospital began serving the community, leaving the building and property on Willis Avenue available. The Lutheran Home for the Aged Association saw it as an opportunity and the Perry Lutheran Home was born.
1966 — Perry Lutheran Home expanded to provide for the growing need of quality care provided. The small addition was enough until 1973 when the east wing was added.
1978 — The old hospital was torn down, leaving in its place a small parking lot now used for staff.
1999 — The Lutheran Home for the Aged Association divided into two separate Associations. Our Association assumed ownership of the Perry Lutheran Home. We began to make direct contact with the congregations of the Iowa District West of Synod, and have gained support from them.
While we have changed to meet the needs of society, we have remained faithful to the vision of those who founded the Association: “To provide the highest quality of spiritual and physical care to the elderly.”
We are committed to the urgency of our Lord’s Great Commission: “Go into all the world and make disciples of all nations.” By God’s grace, we will continue to serve as we have in the past and proclaim the love of Christ to all who will receive it.
Our history is but a foretaste of our anticipations for our future.